The Department of Physics seeks applicants for the position of Introductory Course Instructor and Manager. This individual will be responsible for teaching algebra- and calculus-based introductory physics courses and coordinating the delivery of several large enrollment physics courses offered every semester. Specific duties and responsibilities include:
• Lecturing, teaching laboratory or discussion sections in large calculus- or algebra-based physics courses.
• Work with a large course instructional team which will include 2 or 3 faculty members.
• Instruct, oversee and coordinate the activities of graduate teaching assistants.
• Develop, produce, and administer exams.
• Develop and produce new course material.
• Work with instructional support team to insure that materials are available for students as needed.
• Work with faculty in all large courses to insure that delivery of material and course policies are uniform
• Work with the Director of Course Delivery in educating faculty on how to use the online tools available for their courses.
• Establish and direct a program to mentor and monitor teaching assistants.
• Oversee scheduling of office hours and review sessions for all large courses.
• Assist faculty and staff in handling issues regarding student enrollments and grades.
• Work with staff in the Undergraduate Office to improve efficiency and develop best practices.
Candidates must possess an advanced degree (M.S. or Ph.D.) in Physics or a closely related field and have significant classroom teaching experience. Knowledge of web-based programming applications is preferred, but not required. The successful candidate is expected to be passionate about teaching and working closely with students. The candidate must work well as part of a teaching team and is expected to work well with faculty, administrative professionals and staff. Strong communication, organizational, planning and management skills are required. An ability to work with diverse domestic and international student constituencies is also necessary.
The Introductory Course Instructor and Manager position is a full-time, benefits-eligible academic position appointed on a 12-month service basis. The anticipated start date is August 16, 2012, or as soon as possible after the closing date. Applicants may be interviewed before the closing date; however, no hiring decision will be made until after that date. Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
To apply for this position, please create your candidate profile at http://jobs.illinois.edu and upload your cover letter, resume, and names/contact information for three references by April 18, 2012. Full consideration will be given to complete applications received by the closing date. For further information regarding application procedures, contact Margie Gamel at 217-333-3762 or email@example.com.