Director of Active Learning Program
University of Wisconsin - Madison
The Department of Physics at the University of Wisconsin - Madison is initiating a program to transform our large, introductory, lecture-based courses (Physics 103 and 104) into sustainable, active learning environments that increase students' engagement in their own learning (https://edinnovation.wisc.edu/reach/ ). We are integrating evidence-based practices, effective technologies and ongoing assessment into these courses. Students in the redesigned courses will spend a significant amount of class time actively processing and applying knowledge. We seek a full-time Director for this project to join our department for a 2-year appointment.
The ideal candidate will have experience teaching introductory physics in interactive lecture settings and will be able to work effectively with colleagues both within the department and more widely at the College and University level. Numerous opportunities exist for interactions with like-minded colleagues across campus, teaching-focused seminars, and professional development.
* Provide leadership and direction for a team of about 20 members to transform the classes into active-learning scenarios (e.g. "flipped" or "blended" classes).
* Develop programs to onboard graduate teaching assistants, lecturers and faculty teaching these re-designed courses.
* Develop Teaching Assistant Training materials specific to the re-designed courses.
* Develop Faculty/Lecturer Training materials specific to the re-designed courses.
* Develop course materials specific to the re-designed courses.
* As appropriate, participate in the introductory physics sequence instruction of the re-designed courses.
* M.S. in Physics required
* Ph.D. in Physics or Physics Education preferred
* At least 2 years of experience teaching introductory physics at the college level in interactive lecture settings preferred.
ANTICIPATED START DATE: OCTOBER 01, 2016
SALARY: Negotiable. Appointment may be extended or become renewable.
TO ENSURE CONSIDERATION: application must be received by: SEPTEMBER 15, 2016
HOW TO APPLY:
Applications must be submitted online at https://uwjobapply.wisc.edu/Apply.aspx?pvl=86917
Please upload a cover letter and resume/CV and a 1-2 page teaching statement to https://www.physics.wisc.edu/apply/pvl_86917/apply.php
Letters of recommendation are not required with the initial application but applicants may be asked to provide up to three letters after an initial screening.
More details and contact information can be found at: https://www.ohr.wisc.edu/Weblisting/External/PVLSummaryApply.aspx?pvl_num=86917