Closing Date/Time: Fri. 02/10/17 4:00 PM Pacific Time
Salary: See Position Description
Job Type: Faculty
Location: Spokane Falls Community College, 3410 W Ft George Wright Dr, Spokane, Washington
Spokane Falls Community College seeks qualified candidates for consideration of employment in this annually contracted, tenure track position.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Prepares for and instructs, through traditional classroom and online education modes, transfer-level Physics classes; Examples of the types of courses typically assigned include: Conceptual, Algebra, and Calculus-based Physics Lecture and Laboratory; Assignments may include evening classes;
- Is available and accessible to students for purpose of academic consulting and support, in a manner appropriate to meet student needs, through a combination of scheduled office hours, e-mail accessibility or other effective means of responsive and timely communication;
- Communicates expectations and establishes clear grading criteria through appropriate instructional means, to include but not limited to developing course syllabi, handouts, and materials supporting the instructional process; evaluates student progress and provides clear, timely feedback;
- Participates in district, division, department, or general faculty meetings; in-service training; curriculum development; academic consulting; workshops or seminars; service on district or college councils or committees, or other activities within the scope of the position;
- Complies with state and federal law applicable to professional duties and responsibilities; Follows established procedures in areas such as printing, turning in grades, bookstore orders, office support, student financial aid requirements, safety and health issues and related administrative processes;
- Support and advance the CCS strategic plan, and perform other duties as assigned;
- In addition, faculty may:
- Instruct courses in related disciplines based upon individual qualifications and expertise.
- Supervise paraprofessional employees or direct the work of assigned work-study students. Responsible for ensuring assigned staff adhere to acceptable behavior and performance standards. Demonstrate that assigned staff have been informed how behavior and performance will be assessed, receive timely and accurate feedback regarding performance, and any observed performance and behavioral problems are corrected promptly.
- Advise student clubs or associations.
- An earned Master's degree in Physics from an accredited institution.
- Previous recent (within the past five years) experience equivalent to one full academic year of teaching or equivalent experience successfully teaching Physics at any level, including laboratory classes.
- Demonstrated sensitivity and ability to work successfully with a diverse student body.
- Effective oral, written, interpersonal, and collaborative skills.
- Acceptance of the responsibility to promote the welfare and best interests of students at all times.
- Acceptance of and willingness to support the role that community colleges serve in higher education, and specifically the mission, values, goals and objectives of the Community Colleges of Spokane.
- Ability to perform assigned duties in a manner consistent with applicable laws, regulations and goals of the institution and the community/technical college system.
- Demonstrated commitment to fostering and supporting a teaching, learning and working environment that honors diversity, equity and inclusion.
- An earned doctorate degree in Physics from an accredited institution.
- Experience teaching introductory Physics courses at the community college level.
- Ability to integrate technology and diverse instructional approaches, such as online delivery, into the physics curriculum.
- Demonstrated commitment to public outreach in the sciences.
- Ability to work successfully with the diverse student body found at a community college.
- Developed understanding of the purpose and role of the community college.
This is a full-time, tenure track position with an entry level base salary (for a 175-day academic year contract) of $48,303 - $51,105 / year. * Base salary increases to maximum of $72,803, advancement based upon years of service and professional development activity.
Faculty have potential to earn up to $108,241 (average annual salary paid to our 20 highest earning faculty during FY2014/15). FY 2014/15 average annual faculty salary (all faculty) was $70,544. Annual salary is comprised of base salary plus any combination of academic year overload contracts, summer effort contracts, project stipends, student club advising stipends, and/or department chair /program lead faculty stipends consistent with the provisions of the current collective bargaining agreement between CCS and the Association for Higher Education (AHE).
* Total compensation: $62,794 - $66,437. Total compensation is an estimate based upon base compensation, current employer-paid health and related benefit contribution rates and median retirement fund contributions. The actual total will vary depending upon each employee's enrollment choices.
CCS reserves the right to cancel this recruitment without notice. Academic employees are represented by the Association of Higher Education (AHE), which is affiliated with NEA and WEA. AHE membership or payment of representation fee is required. Anticipated date of employment is Fall 2017.
CONDITIONS FOR EMPLOYMENT
An offer of employment will not carry with it any responsibility or obligation on the part of the District to sponsor an H1-B visa. Person hired must be able to provide acceptable documentation of U.S. Citizenship or lawful authorization to work in the United States. This is an absolute condition of employment. In addition, the Community Colleges of Spokane maintains a drug-free work environment and prohibits all smoking in the college buildings and state-owned vehicles. Must be able to successfully work in and promote a multicultural work and education environment. Requires Criminal background check. If using personal vehicle for travel, proof of driver's license and car insurance required.
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS:
APPLICATION CLOSING DATE
Applications will be accepted until 4:00 p.m. PST on February 10, 2017. The application process will not be available after this time. To ensure consideration make sure your application is completed and submitted as soon as possible. Applications will only be accepted prior to 4:00 p.m. on the closing date.
To qualify for consideration, applicants must meet required competencies and submit a complete application packet, which includes the following:
- CCS online application.
- Cover letter addressing your qualifications as applied to the responsibilities of this position. *
- Comprehensive curriculum vitae. *
- Names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references.*
- A one-page statement describing a personal teaching philosophy. *
- A one-page statement describing your experience in public outreach and education. *
- College transcript(s) * - unofficial/copies of transcripts are acceptable for initial application, official copies must be submitted upon acceptance of job offer.