|Recruitment/Posting Title||Lab Facilities Specialist|
|Job Category||Staff & Executive - Research (Laboratory/Non-Laboratory)|
|Department||SASN - Physics|
Rutgers University-Newark, an urban, public research university and anchor institution, located in Newark, New Jersey, a city of promise, is seeking a Lab Facilities Specialist. Reporting to the Chair, Department of Physics, School of Arts and Sciences-Newark (SASN). The Lab Facilities Specialist is responsible for all aspects of the introductory Physics laboratories and Physics education, including, but not limited to, overseeing operations, training Physics instructors, directing the Learning Assistants Program, and writing proposals for internal and external support. The duties of the Lab Facilities Specialist includes but not limited to the following;
- Designs and develops curriculum and experiments that incorporate innovative pedagogical techniques, standardize laboratory instruction, and enhance student understanding of the fundamental concepts of physics.
- Establishes an innovative framework for research and project development.
- Develops research budgets and performs both quantitative and qualitative research and data analysis.
- Responsible for report and proposal writing and may serve as Principal Investigator (PI) and/or assist PIs to develop original, innovative research plans and strategies and schedules to ensure successful completion of projects and programs.
- Recruits, trains and supervises learning assistants
- Supervises day to day operations of teaching laboratories
- Completes work independently with broadly defined work objectives and limited review of overall results.
Please visit our Website: https://www.physics.rutgers.edu/
|Position Status||Full Time|
|Hours Per Week|
|Daily Work Shift|
|Annual Minimum Salary||52557.000|
|Annual Mid Range Salary||65441.500|
|Annual Maximum Salary||78326.000|
|Union Description||URA-AFT Administrative|
Information about the benefits provided to Rutgers employees can be found at: http://uhr.rutgers.edu/benefits/benefits-overview
|Terms of Appointment||Staff - 12 month|
|Position Pension Eligibility||ABP|
|Minimum Education and Experience|
- Master’s degree in Physics or Physics Education and a minimum of two years’ experience in physics teaching laboratories.
|Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities|
- Knowledge of laboratory design and physics education pedagogically.
- Thorough knowledge of physics, computers, electronics, and mechanical systems.
- In-depth knowledge of physics test instruments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and the ability to collaborate and interact with students, faculty, and staff.
- Ability to hand a multifaceted position with conflicting demands.
- Must be able to multitask and manage several complex projects simultaneously in a fast-paced, student-focused environment with an understanding of the mission, vision, role, and goals of the Department, SASN, and RU-N, and the role the tasks and responsibilities of this position play in the achievement of these goals.
Ph.D. degree in Physics or Physics Education or related field preferred.
Position regularly uses all software, systems, and equipment necessary to provide effective and efficient management of laboratories and teaching, including but not limited to, laboratory equipment and specialized software, and the MS Office Suite, Apple products, Cornerstone, RU Marketplace, RAPSS, ECRT, HCM, and any and all systems the University uses for laboratory instruction, research and grant submission, financial management, procurement, safety, inventory, reporting, training, Protection of Minors, accident reporting, payroll and personnel management, facilities and space, and the equipment, software, and all specialized materials needed to support the effective and efficient performance of this position.
|Physical Demands and Work Environment|
- Fast-paced, deadline-driven, community-oriented, team environment with requirement to skillfully and professionally handle multiple shifting priorities, and to interact successfully with a wide range of individuals at all levels of the University and external community.
- Responsibilities may include attendance at and participation in evening and weekend activities. Laboratory environment.
- Relevant safety training and procedures mandatory.
- Must be able to lift and move up to 30 pounds.
|Posting Open Date||05/17/2019|
|Special Instructions to Applicants|
|Regional Campus||Rutgers University-Newark|
|Home Location Campus||Rutgers University-Newark|
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * What is the highest level of education you have completed?
- High School Diploma/GED
- Associate's Degree
- Bachelor's Degree
- Master's Degree
- Cover Letter/Letter of Application
- List of References