Earth Sciences Instructor
Full-Time, 10 Months
Temporary (Ed. Code 87482.5)
Schedule A - $49,263.86 - $71,969.91/ Annually + Benefits
(Dependent upon education & experience)
June 3, 2013 for First Consideration
(Open Until Filled)
(Fall Semester begins 8/19/13)
The position is a full-time teaching assignment in Earth Sciences and Geology in the Division of Mathematics, Science and Engineering. This program offers instruction in basic skills and transfer level collegiate geology/earth sciences and instructors are able to teach across a broad curriculum.
REQUIRED MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS:
• Most current Minimum Qualifications for Faculty in California Community Colleges (9th edition):
• • • • Master's in geology, geophysics, earth sciences, meteorology, oceanography, or paleontology OR Bachelor's in geology AND Master's in geography, physics, or geochemistry OR the equivalent.
(Academic Affairs Division, California Community Colleges 2012)
• Academic Senate’s approved equivalency:
• • • • No current equivalency (AP&P/Senate: July 2008)
AND a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic background of community college students (Assembly Bill 1725; Education Code 87360).
• Knowledge of and ability to introduce innovative methods and strategies, including PC supported computer technology, to instruction in earth sciences and geology.
• Previous teaching experience at a community college or university level.
• Evidence of and commitment to working as part of a team.
• In addition to teaching 15 lecture hour equivalents per semester, full-time faculty will be responsible for five office hours per week and preparation time.
• Full-time faculty also participate in curricular planning, student learning outcome, program learning outcome, development, assessment, and implementation; evaluation of educational programs; and college governance contributory to the attainment of the colleges mission and strategic goals.
• Instructors may be assigned a combination of daytime, evening, Saturday, and off-campus classes, as the College is dedicated to the educational success of a diverse student body with diverse needs.
• Continued professional development through Staff Development or other sources is expected.
• Travel between District locations (Palmdale and Lancaster) is also expected.
It is the responsibility of each applicant to have all the following documents on file in the Human Resources Office by the deadline date in order to continue in the application process for this position. Please submit the following documents:
1. A completed and signed Antelope Valley College Full-Time Academic Faculty Application
Please do not state "See Résumé" on any part of the application. Blank spaces or illegible entries may be cause for rejection of the application. The District will not return application materials submitted.
2. A letter of intent, addressing qualifications for this position.
3. A résumé or curriculum vitae.
4. Transcripts* of all college work from an accredited institution. Unofficial transcripts or photocopies will be accepted to establish the application file; however, official transcripts will be required if the candidate is offered the position.
*Note: Any degree from a country other than the United States., including Great Britain and Canada,
must be evaluated by a professional evaluation service.
5. At least two signed letters of recommendation dated within the last year. These letters should pertain to professional experience, and are not general “character references.” Applicants are encouraged to request more than two letters to ensure that at least two are received prior to application review. No faxed or e-mailed copies will be accepted.
6. For those disciplines with established Academic Senate’s approved equivalency, if applicable and you are requesting equivalency evaluation, complete the Supplemental Equivalency Request form (attached).
The Antelope Valley Community College District offers an extensive benefits package that includes full-family medical, dental and vision plans, employee life insurance and income protection policies, and eligibility to enroll in the State Teachers’ Retirement System.
Application forms are available on the AVC web site www.avc.edu or from the Human Resources Office and must be returned to:
Office of Human Resources
3041 West Avenue K
Lancaster CA 93536
Faxed or emailed materials cannot be accepted. Unsolicited materials will not be included.
Candidates selected for employment will be required to provide verification of work authorization pursuant to INS regulations. Antelope Valley College prohibits discrimination and harassment based on race, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, marital status, sex, age, or sexual orientation.
Upon request, we will consider reasonable accommodations to permit individuals with protected disabilities to (a) complete the employment or admission process, (b) perform essential job functions, (c) enjoy benefits and privileges of similarly-situated individuals without disabilities, and (d) participate in instruction, programs, services, activities, or events. AVC is an equal opportunity employer.