|Title of Position||Engineering Science and Physics, Faculty Member, Full-Time Tenure Track, Fall '16|
|Organizational Unit||Engineering Science and Physics|
|Position Status||Full Time, Tenure Track|
|Function of Position||MCC is one of only twenty community colleges out of more than a thousand across North America selected for membership in the League for Innovation in the Community College. We have more than 34,000 full and part-time students and offer over 90 programs across two main campuses and various extension sites.|
In addition to their excellent academic credentials, the successful candidate will bring to our school a love of teaching and an energetic, enthusiastic desire to assist and nurture our students as they pursue their goals. MCC embraces diversity and inclusion, offering activities and programs to enhance the personal and professional development of faculty, staff, and students. Faculty members in Academic Services are dedicated to the college’s core mission of student success.
Tenure-track faculty report to the chairperson of the Engineering Science and Physics Department. Faculty are responsible for preparing and teaching courses in the department and may be assigned at the Brighton and/or our Applied Technology Center. Tenure-track faculty develop new educational materials and media and assist with curriculum review and assessment. Tenure-track faculty perform professional duties and participate in departmental and institutional functions, including departmental meetings and committee work. Academic departments are led by a peer who serves as a department chair for a three-year term. All tenure-track faculty are in the pool from which the chair is appointed.
The Engineering Science and Physics department offers 24 different courses to majors and non-majors. To learn more about our engineering program visit our department webpage at: http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/engineering-science-and-physics/?a-zindex
The Engineering Science program is known for its innovative project based curriculum and prepares students for transfer to four-year engineering schools such as Clarkson, RIT, RPI, and University at Buffalo.
Our physics offerings serve students from applied and engineering technologies, engineering science, health related programs, liberal arts, and those interested in transferring into a bachelor degree program in Physics.
The successful candidate will bring a strong interest in co-curricular programming along and/or recruiting and retaining underrepresented students into our engineering science and physics programs. In addition to teaching our foundation and upper-level courses in this area, this tenure-track faculty member will develop new courses to expand our offerings. We seek a candidate with interest in active collaboration with faculty in our department and throughout the college.
|Examples of Duties & Responsibilities||• Teaches courses and evaluates student performance as per guidelines set by the Department and Monroe Community College|
• May be assigned courses at any MCC campus location
• Teaches multiple sections and prepare multiple courses for each term
• Prepares lesson plans, creates appropriate teaching aids, and arranges provision of instructional materials and activities for student usage during classes
• Demonstrates appropriate knowledge of subject
• Encourages students’ participation in class activities
• Identifies learning outcomes and evaluates student performance accordingly
• Prepares course syllabi and outlines
• Establishes and maintains an organized and disciplined classroom environment
• Provides students with assistance and guidance
• Maintains and submits student attendance records, grades, and other records required by the Department and the College in a timely manner
• Maintains office hours according to contractual guidelines in order to support students’ learning efforts
• Advises students concerning professional, academic, and related issues
• Assists department with student recruitment, retention, and placement
• Assists with curriculum review, revision, and development in Department including assessment and program review
• Develops new course materials and innovative teaching pedagogy to facilitate learning
• Incorporates high impact practices into course design
• Consistently demonstrates effectiveness and growth as a teacher
• Attends department meetings as a contributing member
• Contributes to the Department through department committees
• Contributes to the College through division and college committees
• Actively participates in professional development
• Assists department in faculty recruitment
• Assists in the development of grant activities
• Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned by the chairperson of department
• Responsible for adhering to the College Code of Conduct
• Responsible for contributing to and maintaining an inclusive and collaborative College environment
• Responsible for maintaining technological competencies utilized by the County and College
|Required Qualifications||• Earned master’s degree in Engineering, Physics (or related field) from an accredited institution|
• Ability to teach 100 and 200 level courses in Engineering Science and/or Physics, see our course offerings at: http://www.monroecc.edu/etsdbs/MCCatPub.nsf/Web+Course+Descriptions?OpenView?a-zindex
• Evidence of effective communication (interpersonal, speaking, and writing) skills
• Strong interest in developing programs and policies for recruiting and retaining underrepresented students in engineering and physics
• Commitment to supporting an inclusive environment on campus
• Evidence of respect for and understanding of people with diverse backgrounds, abilities, and needs
• Evidence of commitment to the philosophy of a comprehensive community college
• Evidence of proficiency with technology especially as a tool for teaching
• Commitment to continued professional growth
|Preferred Qualifications||• Earned master’s degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution|
• Ability to effectively use engineering software such as SolidWorks, Matlab, Labview, PSpice
• Teaching experience in physics, or engineering
• Experience implementing project based teaching strategies
• Experience implementing effective teaching strategies
• Experience and/or interest in developing and teaching online courses
• Experience working with or recruiting underrepresented students into STEM fields
|To be fully considered, supply all requested documents by this date||05/02/2016|
|Special instructions regarding transcripts||Unofficial transcripts are required for the application process. To attach multiple transcripts electronically, please scan as a single document and attach. It is not possible to attach multiple transcripts separately. If you are not able to attach unofficial copies electronically, please certify and submit your application without them. Follow up by either mailing unofficial copies to: Human Resources, Monroe Community College, 1000 E Henrietta Rd., Rochester, NY 14623 or faxing them to: 585-292-3843. Human Resources will scan the transcripts and attach them to your application after you have certified and submitted your application. Once they are attached, the transcripts will be available for future postings you may be interested in applying to. (If you are a current MCCemployee and believe transcripts are in your personnel file, please call our office to request the transcripts be scanned and attached to your certified application.)|
Official transcript(s) are required upon hire.
All transcripts should show: student name, institution attended, courses taken, grades received and degree conferred if applicable.
|Special Instructions to Applicants||Philosophy of Teaching: Please provide your personal philosophy of teaching statement.|
List of References with contact information: Please submit a list of four references with contact information. Do not submit letters of reference.
NOTE: Please submit each item that is requested in its entirety. If you need assistance, please call HR for help prior to submitting your information and receiving a confirmation number. Once * required documents are attached, submit and confirm application.
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a Master's degree or higher in Engineering, Physics, or equivalent from an accredited institution?
- * Will you now or in the future require sponsorship for employment visa status?
- Cover Letter
- Philosophy of Teaching
- List of References With Contact Information
- Unofficial Transcript (Please see special instructions regarding transcripts)