Assistant/Associate Professor of Physics
Vincennes University, a state supported, comprehensive college of nearly 19,000 students is seeking applicants for the position of Assistant/Associate Professor of Physics, starting fall 2017. This is a full-time, non-tenure track faculty position, reporting to the Chair of the Physics and Engineering Department at VU.
VU is an Indiana public institution of higher education with campuses in the southwestern Indiana communities of Vincennes, Jasper, Fort Branch and additional sites such as Indianapolis. In addition to associate degree and certificate programs, VU also offers six bachelor's degree programs, with accreditation from the Higher Learning Commission. VU offers challenging work opportunities, a full range of employee benefits including a comprehensive health plan, paid leave, and a retirement plan. Founded in 1801, VU is Indiana's first college and is the only college in the nation founded by an individual who would later become President of the United States. More information is available at www.vinu.edu.
The Physics and Engineering Department seeks a faculty colleague who is willing to be a part of the VU experience, as noted here:
- A focus on premier learning and successful educational experiences for our students.
- Cultural opportunities and community services in a diverse, student-centered, collegiate atmosphere.
- Small class sizes.
- Professional work environment.
- Talented and committed co-workers.
- Teach undergraduate, developmental, and technical courses in physics, engineering, and mathematics.
- Serve as an academic advisor, and participate in related student success activities.
- Participate in recruitment and retention initiatives and activities.
- Participate in the development and implementation of assessment, including learning outcomes, at the course, program, college, and university levels.
- Participate in research and service, including serving on departmental, college, and university committees.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Minimum academic qualification: Master's Degree in Physics or a Master's Degree and 18 graduate hours in Physics. A PhD in Physics is a plus, along with the ability to teach courses other than Physics, such as statistics, dynamics, mechanics of materials, thermodynamics, circuits, engineering graphics.
- Candidates should have the interest and expertise to teach a variety of physics and mathematics courses (ranging from developmental and technical, to college entry level through the fourth semester level) in an open access college setting.
- Candidates should have some experience with learning assessment and data-driven decision making.
- be able to incorporate a variety of teaching strategies and technologies in the classroom.
- be able to encourage and assist new students to develop skills and confidence.
- be able to provide a challenging environment for the highly skilled student.
- possess excellent interpersonal skills.
- participate in activities for recruiting and retaining students.
Anticipated starting date
August 15, 2017
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter, resume, transcript(s), and contact information for four (4) references to Vincennes University, Human Resources, 1002 North First Street, Vincennes, IN 47591 or email to email@example.com. Applications will be accepted until position is filled. Deadline for Full Consideration is May 30, 2017. Interviews may be held concurrently with the advertising period.
Vincennes University is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer and Educator.