Houston Community College (HCC) is an open-admission, public institution of higher education offering a high-quality, affordable education for academic advancement, workforce training, career development and lifelong learning to prepare individuals in our diverse communities for life and work in a global and technological society. We're proud to say that 98 percent of our graduates step into a job in their field of study immediately upon graduation. One of the largest community colleges in the nation, HCC has served the Greater Houston area for over four decades. Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, and the Schools Commission on Colleges, we offer 300+ associate degree and certificate programs to 75,000+ students across 13 Centers of Excellence and online each semester. We are proud to be No.1 among all community colleges in the nation in providing associate degrees to minorities and No.1 in educating international students, with 10.4 percent of our student population from outside the USA. Our vision is to become the Employer of Choice in support of our mission for Student Success by attracting, retaining and motivating the best employees.
Some of the brightest minds in academics and business are choosing HCC as their teaching home. When you join our talented faculty team, you'll play a special role as teacher, mentor and academic advisor. We'll support you in your professional development as you contribute your knowledge and expertise to HCC, our students and the community.
We are currently seeking an Instructor of Physics who will advance the institution's proud tradition of excellence in academics, student life and community service.
We're looking for a professional like you to teach our students about the exciting world of Physics!
Your professional experience makes you the ideal instructor because you can impart both on-the-job know-how and industry knowledge and expertise. You will have the opportunity to provide the expertise and knowledge to support the college curriculum and programs. In this role you will establish courses following accepted higher education standards, teach students using a variety if effective methodologies and provide engagement and support activities that encourage student learning. The role of the Instructional Faculty encompasses teaching and learning, academic advising, professional development and institutional and community service.
When you're not teaching, you might be assisting students with opportunities for work (co-ops, part-time, work-study) and careers; evaluating program curricula and/or practices; advising declared majors; or reviewing textbooks and learning materials.
If you're excited about passing the torch of your expertise and skills to the next generation of construction engineers, your next step should be to submit your application today!
Houston is a city with limitless possibilities:
- Third-largest city in the U.S. and home to 54 Fortune 500 companies, second only to New York City's 55.
- About 145 languages are spoken here.
- Overall after-taxes living costs are 5.6 percent below the average for all 308 urban areas recently surveyed.
- Houston is a major-league sports town, and don't forget the annual Houston Livestock Show & Rodeo.
- The weather is great! Mild winters ensure that outdoor activities can be enjoyed year-round.
- World-renowned medical care. The Houston metro area has long been known for its first-rate healthcare system, with many Houston area hospitals consistently ranking among the nation's top institutions.
- With over 150 museums and cultural institutions in the Greater Houston area, museums are a large part of Houston's cultural scene.
- Houston is the Culture & Culinary Capital of Texas with more than 7,500 restaurants and eating establishments covering 60+ cuisines.
This is a security sensitive position.
If this sounds like the role for you and you're ready to join an amazing team, please apply right away.
It is the policy of the Houston Community College System to provide equal employment opportunities without regard to race, color, religion, sex, gender identity and expression, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation or veteran's status. Individuals with disabilities, who require special accommodations to interview, should contact the Employment Services Office at (713) 718-8565.
HCC values its employees and their contributions, promotes opportunities for their professional growth and development, and provides a positive working and learning environment that encourages diversity, innovation and creativity, and inclusion.SUMMARY
Provide the expertise and knowledge that support the college curriculum and programs. The role of the Instructional Faculty encompasses teaching and learning, advising, professional development and institutional and community service.
The incumbent will teach a maximum load of fifteen (15) equated hours each semester (up to eighteen class contact hours each week) with demonstrated expertise and experience in classroom teaching. Must also participate as a full-time instructor in the activities of the department, division and college. Faculty may be required to teach at various locations in the District.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other relevant duties may be required.
- Demonstrate skill and/or knowledge in teaching discipline.
- Make continuous efforts to improve the quality of instruction by reviewing and utilizing innovative methodologies, techniques, and delivery methods.
- Develop and use a syllabus for each course or laboratory within college, discipline, and departmental guidelines and submit one copy to the department chair.
- Plan, develop, and use a variety of teaching methods and materials that assist students in meeting course objectives and which are appropriate for students with differing educational and experiential backgrounds and learning styles.
- Evaluate students to measure their progress toward achievement of stated course objectives and inform them of their progress in the course in a timely manner.
- Keep accurate student records and submit related reports and forms within requested timelines.
- Review, evaluate, and recommend student textbooks and learning materials.
- Teach courses at a variety of times and locations in response to institutional needs.
- Use equipment and facilities responsibly and courteously. Where appropriate, assist the chair with the routine maintenance of instructional laboratories.
- Demonstrate competence and interest in the use of technology in the classroom and willingness to explore new instructional methodologies.
- Maintain professional relationships with students, colleagues, and the community.
- Provide access to students through conferencing, electronic communication, and other appropriate methods. Provide advice and assistance to students regarding instructional or program-specific issues.
- Make presentations on a particular academic field or program - its subject matter, objectives, opportunities for further study (transfer opportunities), and opportunities for work (co-ops, part-time, work-study) and careers, special clubs and activities available, support services, scholarships, etc.
- Work with Chair to take on appropriate advising activities as needed by the College and Department. (For examples, please refer to the HCC Faculty Workload Guidelines).
- Establish annual objectives for professional growth in consultation with the department chair.
- Keep pace with developments in the discipline.
- Learn and apply technologies that support student learning. Participate in the evaluation process for self, department, and college.
- Maintain communication with Chair and Dean as appropriate. Support adjunct faculty. Demonstrate teamwork within an interdisciplinary college division.
- Promote programming within the department, across the District and in the larger community.
- Participate in scheduled institutional service activities including opening week events, conference days, and commencement exercises.
- Participate in discipline committee or program meetings and activities.
- Actively participate in department, college or system meetings and/ or committees.
- Be familiar with and adhere to all policies and procedures of HCCS.
- Participate in college-related activities such as student activities, selection of faculty, community education, recruitment of students, and/or special programs.
- Participate in business and/or student activities and/or community activities that foster goodwill and promote the mission of HCCS.
- Participate in activities required to maintain program and college accreditation standards.
- Participate in the HCCS planning process by assisting in the formulation of departmental objectives and goals and in establishing budget priorities.
- Review, evaluate, and revise program curricula and practices to assure compliance with professional standards, state-mandated guidelines and requirements of business/ industry, and higher education.
- Assist in the articulation of courses and programs with secondary and post-secondary institutions.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the essential duties and responsibilities listed above. The qualifications listed below are representative of the education, experience, knowledge, skills and/or abilities required.
- Master's degree with eighteen (18) graduate hours in the Discipline.
- One (1) year of college level teaching experience required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Must provide resume and cover letter and a statement of teaching philosophy.
- Must be able to teach day, evening, or weekend classes.
- Must have working knowledge and skill in presentation software.
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse professional, community and student population.
- Must possess good organizational and planning skills.
- Must possess sensitivity to students with diverse academic, socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds and students with disabilities.
- Must demonstrate ability to inspire and motivate students in a learning-centered environment.
- Must be self-disciplined and able to effectively manage others.
This job description may be revised upon development of other duties and changes in responsibilities.