Postdoctoral Research Associate in Physics Education Research Math Problem Solving 2021-2022
Applications are invited for a postdoctoral research associate in Physics Education Research (PER) at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (U of I). The work of the University of Illinois PER Group bridges fundamental principles of physics cognition, learning, and understanding with large-scale, classroom implementation.
The primary duties of this position will be to work on research projects at the intersection of physics problem solving, mathematical reasoning, and causal reasoning in university physics contexts. This postdoc will work primarily with Prof. Eric Kuo, but there will be opportunities to interface more broadly with the University of Illinois PER group.
The preferred start window is Summer 2021. The position is a full-time, 12-month appointment that may be extended up to a maximum of two years. Candidates are expected to have earned or be close to earning a Ph.D. in Physics Education Research, Science Education, Learning Sciences, or a related field.
· Help shape the development of project research strands
· Lead aspects of project design, data collection, analysis, and project management
· Collaborate with faculty, postdocs, graduate, and undergraduate students
· Present research through conference presentations and journal articles
· There are also opportunities to get involved on other projects in the U of I PER group.
Desirable qualifications (candidates need not have all of these):
· Knowledge of the research literature on mathematical reasoning, problem solving, and/or causal reasoning.
· Ability to generate and select interesting research questions to work on
· Evidence of past research insights that advanced a research project
· Experience with quantitative research methods, including experimental or within-subjects designs
· Experience with qualitative research methods, including video analysis in classroom, focus group, and interview settings
· Experience working in collaborative teams on projects with high logistical demands
· Strong writing, communication, and/or presentation skills
· Capacity and interest in supporting undergraduate and graduate student research
· A thoughtful perspective on how diversity, equity, and inclusion in physics education can be advanced through research on mathematical reasoning, problem solving, and/or causal reasoning.
Applications should be submitted electronically at https://my.physics.illinois.edu/submit/go.asp?id=1585 and should include a cover letter; CV; research statement; statement on diversity, equity, and inclusion; and two letters of recommendation. Please direct questions about the position to Eric Kuo (email@example.com). Review of applications will begin on May 17, 2021 and will continue until the position is filled.
The University of Illinois PER group welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity, equity, and inclusivity.
The University of Illinois is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability. Illinois welcomes individuals with diverse backgrounds, experiences, and ideas who embrace and value diversity and inclusivity. For more information, visit https://inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.
Any offer for this position is contingent upon the successful completion of a criminal background check process in accordance with the University of Illinois Background Check Policy.