- ASSISTANT PROFESSOR/ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR/PROFESSOR
- Position Number: 002062
- Responsibilities and Duties:East Carolina University (ECU), the third largest campus in the University of North Carolina system, is creating an exciting new teacher preparation and STEM pedagogy collaborative, designed for the purpose of: 1) Increasing the quantity and quality of secondary and middle grades science teachers, while also enhancing the core science content knowledge of elementary and special education teachers; 2) Improving the recruitment and retention of students into the natural sciences by developing and implementing best practices in pedagogy for introductory-level science courses; and 3) Creating a nucleus of cross-college collaboration in science education. To this end, the College of Education and the Thomas Harriot College of Arts & Sciences (THCAS) invite applications for five full-time, tenured/tenure-track collaborative appointments at the level of Assistant Professor, Associate Professor, or Professor. Specifically, we are seeking outstanding, team-building, innovative scientists and science educators for the following:
One position in Science Education: housed in the Department of Mathematics, Science, and Instructional Technology Education (MSITE) in the College of Education, with an affiliation in one of the THCAS departments listed below, based on the interests and credentials of the selected candidate. For inquiries regarding this position, please contact Rhea Miles (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Ron Preston (email@example.com).
The other four positions will have home departments in the THCAS and affiliations with MSITE in the College of Education:
- One position in Biology Education: housed in the Department of Biology. For inquiries regarding this position, please contact Carol Goodwillie (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Heather Vance Chalcraft (email@example.com).
- One position in Chemistry Education: housed in the Department of Chemistry. For inquiries regarding this position, please contact Eli Hvastkovs (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Anthony Kennedy (email@example.com).
- One position in Earth/Environmental Sciences Education: housed in either the Department of Geological Sciences or the Department of Geography, Planning, and Environment. For inquiries regarding Geological Sciences, please contact Terri Woods (firstname.lastname@example.org). For inquiries regarding Geography, Planning, and Environment, please contact Thad Wasklewicz (email@example.com).
- One position in Physics Education: housed in the Department of Physics. For inquiries regarding this position, please contact Edson Justiniano (firstname.lastname@example.org) or John Kenney (email@example.com).
Successful candidates will be expected to engage in collaborative research, teaching and service work designed to improve the academic environment for undergraduate STEM and science education students; to create a collaborative interdisciplinary team for the generation of research and practical knowledge in K-20 science education; and to pursue funded, productive scholarship in science education.Minimum Qualifications:Applicants must possess an earned doctorate in one of the disciplines listed above and expertise in science and science education. Commensurate with rank, we seek individuals who have established (or show evident potential for): a nationally/internationally recognized research program, excellence in teaching within a higher education setting, significant scholarly contributions to the field of science education, and extramural funding to support their scholarly activities.
Qualifying degrees should be received from appropriately accredited institutions and conferred by the time of hire.Special Instructions to Applicants:Candidates should submit a letter of application, statements of research interests and teaching philosophy, a curriculum vitae, and a list of three references including contacting information. Applicants should indicate in the letter of application the position to which s/he is applying.
Please sent unofficial transcripts to:
Terri L. Woods
ECU Department of Geological Sciences
East Fifth Street
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
Screening of applications will begin on January 17, 2015 and continue until the positions are filled. Graduate transcript required upon employment.Additional Instructions to Applicants: Applicants must complete a candidate profile online via the PeopleAdmin system. In addition, applicants must submit the documents requested in order to be considered for the position.East Carolina University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.Visit this job posting at ecu.peopleadmin.com/applicants/Central?quickFind=76954