Assistant Professor of Instruction - Physics
Department of Physics and Astronomy
2145 Sheridan Road
Evanston, IL 60208-3112, USA
Online Submissions: https://facultysearch.weinberg.northwestern.edu/apply/index/MTc2Questions: email@example.com
Northwestern University’s Department of Physics and Astronomy invites applications for a full-time, benefits eligible, multi-year, non-tenure eligible faculty appointment as Assistant Professor of Instruction, beginning September 1, 2016.
The successful applicant will demonstrate excellence in teaching introductory physics courses, supervising and mentoring teaching assistants, and overseeing classroom and laboratory instruction for introductory courses. A standard teaching assignment is six one-quarter courses per academic year with possible reductions for administrative and other duties.
Minimum qualifications include a Ph.D. in Physics, Physics Education, or a related field, which must be conferred by September 1, 2016. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated excellence, breadth, and innovation in teaching.
Applicants should submit a letter of application, curriculum vitae, teaching portfolio (including a teaching statement, course syllabi, and student evaluations), and three letters of recommendation (at least two of which must address teaching). Applications should be submitted online through the departmental website at:http://www.physics.northwestern.edu. Letters of recommendation can be submitted online or sent directly to the attention of Dr. Emily Updegraff, Assistant Chair, at firstname.lastname@example.org. General questions may be addressed to Dr. Emily Updegraff at the same address.
Review of applications will begin on January 4, 2016, and continue until the position is filled. Preference will be given to candidates who have demonstrated experience working with diverse student communities. Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Hiring is contingent upon eligibility to work in the United States.
Please read ALL instructions and make all preparations before proceeding to application page. If you have been asked to submit a letter of recommendation for an applicant, please use the link in your email instructions instead of this page.
1. Applications will only be accepted through the online form. Please make sure all documents are prepared in advance, because partial applications will not be accepted and cannot be saved. Also, please be sure all information is entered completely and accurately (especially names and email addresses), as there will be no opportunity for online revision after your application has been accepted.
2. All uploaded files should be in Adobe PDF format. Files in another electronic format (e.g., MS Word) should be "saved as" or "printed to" PDF format before uploading. If you only have a paper version of a particular document, you may scan it and save it as a PDF. However, the first method is preferred, because it retains text recognition capabilities.
3. Three names and email addresses for external referees are required. Very soon after you submit your complete online application, your references will automatically be emailed instructions for uploading a letter of recommendation. NOTE: If you are using a professional placement or dossier service (e.g., Interfolio) to submit any or all recommendations, please use the service's address instead of your referee's address in the appropriate space. Once again, please be sure all addresses are entered correctly with no spelling errors; otherwise your referee or dossier service will not receive the instructions.
4. Some things to remember when uploading your application documents:
--Please note that no document may exceed 4 MB in size, so be sure to minimize the
size of any large PDF files before uploading.
--File names should not contain parentheses, quotation marks, or other such characters; the system will likely not accept such documents.
5. When your PDF files and list of references are complete, you may proceed to the Online Application. All required fields must be filled in before you click on the "Submit Application" button. The system will not accept incomplete applications. Applications that are complete by October 30, 2015 will be ensured full consideration. (References will be allowed to arrive for a week or so after the deadline.) You will receive an email confirmation shortly after your application has been received.Online Submissions:https://facultysearch.weinberg.northwestern.edu/apply/index/MTc2