VEVRRA Federal Contractor - Priority referral protected veterans requested.
|Position Title||Full-Time Instructor - Physics (PHYS)|
|Salary Range||As per full-time pay scale.|
|Job Type||Full Time|
|Anticipated Start Date||01/11/2016|
|Extended Open Deadline|
|Work Hours||Teach physics sections as needed.|
Position Summary Information
To perform the day-to-day operations of the instructional programs in physics.
• Teaches a minimum of three 96 contact-hour physics courses each semester (both lecture and laboratory sessions).
• Teaching duties to be divided as needed among physics courses offered.
• Prepares necessary laboratory supplies and materials in advance of teaching sessions and returns unused materials to their appropriate locations.
• Ensures that laboratory safety and cleanliness is maintained.
• Provides instruction for courses at a variety of times and locations.
• Demonstrates a commitment to student engagement, student success, and instructional excellence.
• Maintains access to students through posted office hours and electronic communication.
• Prepares and utilizes a course syllabus and assessments for each course using guidelines established by the institution.
• Maintains current knowledge of effective teaching methodologies and utilizes a variety of instructional delivery methods, classroom media, and educational resources.
• Advises students in academic matters.
• Evaluates students’ performance through a variety of means to measure progress and keep them informed in a timely manner.
• Assists in the development, distribution, and collection of assessments for courses and program objectives.
• Provides recommendations to the Academic Dean, Assistant Dean, Department Heads, and Curriculum Resource Team regarding curriculum.
• Demonstrates a positive and professional relationship with students, colleagues, college administration, and the community.
• Submits timely college reports and forms to the appropriate divisions/departments.
• Exhibits a commitment to lifelong learning through participation in professional development activities.
• Possesses a passion for teaching community college students.
• Demonstrates effective communication skills, both written and orally.
• Attends college orientation and required institutional meetings.
• Utilizes the college LMS to post grades and other course resources for students.
• Attends departmental and division meetings.
• Serves on division and/or college committees.
• Serves as a mentor to part-time faculty.
• Participates in program and curriculum review, course development, and revision processes.
• Completes all course grading in a timely manner and according to college and program policy.
• Responsible for other related duties as assigned.
• Serves as lead course instructor as needed.
|Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities|
|Preferred Experience and Training|
Ph.D. in physics
College teaching experience
Proficiency with presentation software, lab interface software, and other classroom and laboratory technology
Graduate coursework or other experience in astronomy or astrophysics.
|Required Degree, License or Certifications|
Masters degree in physics
Masters degree in closely-related area with 18 graduate credit-hours in physics
|Special Notes To Applicants|
Applications lacking a cover letter, resume, and transcripts will be considered incomplete and may not be reviewed. Requested documents should be attached to the application as PDFfiles.
Unofficial graduate transcripts may be attached to this application, but official graduate transcripts must be sent directly to Blinn College by the graduate institution (to Dean, Division of Agriculture and Natural Sciences, PO Box 6030, Bryan, TX, 77805).
All foreign transcripts must be accompanied by an evaluation from a certified credential agency.
A short teaching demonstration will be required of applicants invited for interview.
The College assigns appropriately credentialed faculty members in support of educational quality and the mission of the College, in keeping with Board policy DBA LOCAL-X (Employment Requirements and Restrictions – Credentials and Records: Credentials). College policy is consistent with sound educational practice and SACSCOC guidelines. Primary consideration is given to the highest degree earned in the discipline. Furthermore, Blinn College’s Faculty Credentialing Guidelines table specifies recommended credentials for each rubric within the college’s course inventory.http://www.blinn.edu/academic_affairs/Faculty_Credentialing_Guidelines.pdf
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Do you have a master's degree or higher with 18 graduate hours in the teaching field?
- * The criteria for accreditation adopted by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) require that all faculty have "at least 18 graduate hours in their teaching field(s) and hold a Masters degree or higher. Please list the graduate course title and course number that make up your 18 graduate hours in your teaching field. (Education courses do not satisfy this requirement.).(Open Ended Question)
- * To be eligible for employment in the U.S. & Blinn College would you need an H1B VISA or any VISA sponsorship?(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your familiarity with presentation software, lab interface software and other classroom and laboratory technology.(Open Ended Question)
- * Do you have any background in Astronomy or Astrophysics? Describe any graduate course work or other experience.(Open Ended Question)
- * Have you had experience writing and designing undergraduate laboratory experiments? Describe.(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your experience teaching online, blended (partial face-to-face and partial online), and live interactive video courses.(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your experience with assessing student learning.(Open Ended Question)
- * Please tell us when you are available to teach. Mornings, Afternoons or Evening.(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity?
- Advertisement (specify below)
- Internal Job Posting
- Word of Mouth
- Internet Site (specify below)
- Other (specify below)
- Please specify how you heard about this employment opportunity?(Open Ended Question)