This is a full time visiting faculty position starting in the 2016-17 academic year.
The Evergreen State College seeks a versatile faculty member for a one-year, full-time visiting position for the 2016/17 academic year. The successful applicant will exhibit a commitment to undergraduate teaching. To be fully considered, applicants must have a Ph.D. in Physics or related field and an interest in teaching laboratory-based, calculus-based physics and calculus to undergraduates within an innovative environment that promotes collaborative learning. The teaching assignment will be in the program Matter and Motion, that integrates general chemistry with first year calculus and first year calculus-based physics with laboratory. The successful candidate should demonstrate the willingness and ability to teach quantitative skills with a focus on preparing students for more advanced work. The ability to teach lab is essential.
- A Ph.D. in Physics or related field (ABD will be considered);
- Experience in teaching introductory calculus-based physics with laboratory at the first year, undergraduate level; and
- Interest in interdisciplinary team-teaching.
- Ability/desire to teach in team-taught interdisciplinary science classes, within a liberal arts curriculum;
- Experience in teaching and running analog and/or digital electronics labs;
- Ability to teach all aspects of general physics; and
- Ability to work collaboratively in faculty teams.
To apply, please enter the following information via our online application:
- Contact Information
- Voluntary Affirmative Action
- Curriculum Vitae;
- A 1 - 2 page letter of interest that addresses your qualifications for the position, reasons for your interest in the position and your teaching philosophy; and
- At least one current letter of reference from a professional colleague (letters of reference may be submitted via regular mail or email at firstname.lastname@example.org) and the names and contact information of two additional professional references – include address, telephone number and email address.
- OPTIONAL: Student evaluations and/or letters of support from current and/or former students.
Review of complete applications begins April 25, 2016. We will continue to accept application materials until the position is filled.
The College reserves the right to extend searches or not offer positions advertised. As a condition of employment, persons hired must provide proof of identity and employment eligibility within three (3) days of contract start date. All position offers are contingent on funding. Persons with disabilities can receive accommodations in the hiring process by contacting the Faculty Hiring Coordinator.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, disability or veteran status.