This site has job listings, actual or rumored, about employment opportunities of interest to the Physics Education Research Community. Posts are updated as we find new listings.
Friday, October 23, 2015
Probationary FT, Portland CC, OR (Sylvania campus)
12000 SW 49th Ave.
Hours of Work
If Other, Please Specify
Hours of work vary, usually 35 hours per week
Full-time Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Starting Salary Range
2014-2015 salary range - $50,374/yr to $87,351/yr. Initial Salary Placement up to Step 3 ($53,965) will be based on related experience, per PCC's collective bargaining agreement. **2015/2016 salary
Job Close Date
Apply by Nov 20, 2015 for best consideration
Are you ready to increase science literacy and to support the successful transfer of students into four-year science and engineering programs? Are you ready to play a pivotal role in strengthening the science, engineering and technology workforce? Consider combining your academic and professional expertise, and your passion for helping others, to build your career in teaching at Portland Community College!
PCC achieves educational excellence by being accountable and committed to achieving diversity. Through leadership, staff, student body, educational programs and business opportunities that serve the community, it acts as a model for others to follow.
- As an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
- Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
PCC Faculty Responsibilities/Duties:
- Instruct students using approved course outcome guides developed by college-wide subject area Faculty; assess student performance in these courses. - Attend and participate in college-wide, campus/center division, department, and program meetings and activities. - Serve on Subject Area Curriculum Committees and/or such other College committees as may be assigned. - Assist in the recruitment of students. - Provide registration, advising, and guidance assistance to students. - Provide professional assistance to staff and students. - Provide information and assistance on College operations as may be requested. - Compile and/or research data as may be assigned. - Provide services to students in a manner which does not discriminate as to race, creed, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, sexual preference or marital status. - Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities. - Maintain College safety standards in their work areas; ensure that students are trained in good safety practices; and make reasonable efforts to ensure that students follow good safety practices. - Comply with published College Policies and Procedures. - Perform other related duties as provided in Faculty Agreement.
- Master's degree in physics OR
- Master's degree in related area plus 30 quarter hours graduate credit in physics
The Physics SAC has established the following disciplines to be considered approved "related areas": - Engineering (civil, mechanical, electrical, chemical, etc.) - Math or any science other than physics - Math education - Physics (or other science) education - Secondary science education
Instructors shall have earned required academic credentials at a regionally accredited institution.
Preferred Qualifications: 1. Demonstrated knowledge in astronomy, astrophysics, space science, planetary science or a closely related discipline which qualify candidate for teaching general astronomy courses.
2. History of success in teaching conceptual, non-calculus and calculus based physics courses.
3. Experience working with diverse populations in an educational setting and a commitment to equity and inclusion in the classroom and workplace.
4. Experience using technology to teach in-person and to teach distance learning courses.
5. Interest and experience in course-level and program-level planning, development and assessment.
Additional Posting Information
To apply for this position you must:
1) Complete the online application - Be sure to include complete employment history 2) Attach* Cover Letter - In 1-2 pages, state specifically how you meet each of the qualifications for the position (minimum and preferred qualifications). Note: Please also list the lecture and laboratory courses you have taught (including the name of the institution) ANDthe title of your dissertation or thesis. 3) Attach* Current Resume/Vita 4) Attach* Unofficial Transcripts for each of your degrees (Includes current PCC employees). Transcripts need to include theTitle of the degree earned and the Date that the degree was conferred and the Name of the Institution. 5) Attach* responses to the required essay questions. (Scroll down to view the required questions)
Note: - All transcripts from institutions outside of the U.S. are required to include an evaluation by a U.S. credential evaluation agency (copy and paste the link http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html into another browser window for specific instructions).
- Applicants Anticipating Degree Completion by September 1, 2016 must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Application Review Process:
1) Once the "deadline or best consideration date" has passed, an initial screening will be conducted.
2) If you are selected by the committee for further consideration you may be asked to submit written responses to a set of essay questions. You may have as little as one week to provide the required information.
3) Upon hire the selected candidate will be required to supply OFFICIAL copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
4) Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options; including Health, Dental and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance, Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
Paid Leave: - 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year) - 21 hours of additional personal leave per year - 4 paid holidays (which occur during the term you are teaching)
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age; plus tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visithttp://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
Additional Posting Information:
- This is a full time (1.0 FTE) probationary faculty position commencing September 2016. Hours of work may include evening or weekend teaching assignments. Opening Subject To Budget Considerations And Approval.
More information is available at: http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html
- This position is included in the bargaining agreement between Portland Community College and the Portland Community College Faculty Federation Employees. Employment in this position will require, as a condition of employment, payment of monthly union dues or a monthly fair share fee in lieu of dues through automatic payroll deduction.
- Portland Community College will hire only United States citizens and aliens lawfully authorized to work in the United States. All new employees will be required to complete the designated Immigration Service Employers Verification I-9 form.
Documents that must be associated with this posting
Resume Cover Letter Transcript Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting
Full Time/Part Time
PCC Employees Only?
Describe three examples of what makes you an exceptional physics teacher. Please limit your answer to one (1) page.
Please describe how you have been intentional in ensuring that your teaching (or mentoring) practices effectively engage physics students with a wide range of ages and from a wide range of social, economic, academic, and cultural backgrounds. In other words, how has your understanding about teaching across lines of student difference impacted your instruction and learning assessment? Please limit your answer to one (1) page.
Review the list of classes of the department. (See at this link the Physics course content and outcome guides CCOGs : http://www.pcc.edu/ccog/default.cfm?fa=course&subject=PHY ).
For each class, indicate whether you "have taught" (indicate date), "could teach" given 6 months, or "wouldn't teach - not my field". Answering in a table is recommended. For each class that you have taught, indicate your role(s) -- lead instructor, lab instructor, teaching assistant, etc. Please feel free to add additional rows in your table to share experience teaching courses or subjects that don't obviously align to the list of courses provided on our CCOG page.