Position Number: 645
Academic Calendar Year: 32 weeks (Fall & Winter Semesters)
Date Available: Fall 2016
Annual Salary: $52,991 (Master¿s Degree)
Reports to: Associate Dean, School of Arts & Sciences
Close Date: November 22, 2015
The College is interested in faculty who: (1) possess an interest in working with diverse student populations who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin, and ability; (2) engage in and develop innovative teaching methods; (3) demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement, individually and for the College. GRCC has an excellent benefits program and the Faculty Association contract provides opportunities to earn additional compensation.
Essential Job Functions
- Teach all levels of physics including introductory, college, and calculus based physics lectures and labs.
- Teach introductory astronomy lectures and labs.
- Develop and teach courses both online and in-person.
- Develop and implement teaching techniques that employ interactive learning, audiovisual, and computer technology.
- Appreciate and incorporate instrumentation into the laboratory classroom.
- Mentor science majors through Independent Study projects.
- Advise students on academic programs and careers related to the STEM fields.
- Engage in professional development and continuous improvement related to the field of physics/astronomy.
- Participate fully as a member of the Physical Sciences Department in activities such as department meetings, committee membership, textbook selection, assessment projects, and other duties as determined by the College.
- Participate in cross-campus teams and committees.
- Participate in course and curriculum development, evaluation, and revision.
- Teach courses at off-site locations as needed.
- Provide leadership through the coordination of teams of adjunct faculty for both lecture and laboratory courses as needed.
- Support students, the Physical Sciences Department and the Community by developing and participating in Academic Service Learning and community service projects.
- Adhere to the standards and requirements expressed in the Faculty Contract.
- A Master¿s Degree or Ph.D. in Physics, Astrophysics, or Astronomy (Ph.D. preferred).
- A Bachelor¿s degree in a natural science.
- Experience using multi-media, computers, and demonstrations in lecture and laboratory settings.
- Experience teaching physics/astronomy at the community college level (preferred).
- Experience teaching physics/astronomy at the college or university level required; a minimum of two years full-time or equivalent preferred.
- Experience with the repair and maintenance of common laboratory equipment.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must be able to sit or stand for long periods of time.
- An understanding of and appreciation for the community college philosophy and student population.
- An interest in working with diverse student populations, who represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin and ability.
- A commitment to serve the Kent County community.
- Demonstrated initiative and organizational and problem-solving abilities.
- Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in regards to interruptions and schedule changes.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Classroom environment in an academic setting.
- Travel to offsite locations will be required.
Why work at GRCC? This position offers:
- - A diverse working and learning environment with ongoing related professional development
- - Retirement plans including Michigan Public Schools Retiree System (defined benefit) or TIAA-CREF (defined contribution)
- - Generous personal time off package, including holidays, sick time for you and your family, vacation, bereavement and personal days
- - Excellent and affordable health coverage
- - Generous dental and optical reimbursement plan
- - Life insurance and long term disability benefits
- - Free tuition at GRCC for employee and dependents
- - External institution tuition reimbursement for employee
- - Extensive professional development and wellness opportunities
- - Ford Fieldhouse Health Club and Pool membership
- - Downtown campus parking at a deep discount
- - Grand Rapids is a Cool City! http://www.hellowestmichigan.com/Why-West-Michigan/Grand-Rapids
METHOD OF APPLICATION:
To apply for this position, please visit our website at www.grcc.edu/jobs Grand Rapids Community College is only accepting online applications for this position. For full consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume, unofficial transcripts, and three professional reference letters. You may upload the letters yourself or your supporters may attach to an email to firstname.lastname@example.org The opportunity to apply for this position will close on November 22, 2015 at 11:59 PM Individuals with diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Grand Rapids Community College creates an inclusive learning and working environment that recognizes the value and dignity of each person. It is the policy and practice of GRCC to provide equal educational and employment opportunities regardless of age, race, color, religion, marital status, sex/gender, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, height, weight, national origin, disability, political affiliation, familial status, veteran status or genetics in all programs, activities, services, employment and advancement including admissions to, access to, treatment in, or compensation in employment as required by state and federal law. GRCC is committed to reviewing all aspects of GRCC programs, activities, services and employment, including recruitment, selection, retention and promotion to identify and eliminate barriers in order to prevent discrimination on the basis of the listed protected characteristics. The college will not tolerate any form of retaliation against any person for bringing charges of discrimination or participating in an investigation. Further information may be obtained from the EEO Office or the Office of General Counsel, 143 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503-3295.