Rio Hondo College invites applications for a tenure-track position in Physics to commence in August 2016. Candidates should have a Master’s in Physics, Astronomy, or Astrophysics or otherwise satisfy the minimum qualifications for this position as stated below. The successful candidate will have a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching at the community college level, to curriculum development, and to the growth and success of a diverse population of students.Essential Duties Minimum Qualifications Master’s degree in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics
Bachelor’s degree in physics or astronomy and Master’s degree in engineering, mathematics, meteorology, or geophysics
A valid California Community College Credential authorizing service in the appropriate subject matter
Demonstrated knowledge of specific discipline; knowledge of instructional needs of community college students
Ability to relate well with peers and other co-workers; to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and to be flexible in a changing environment
Demonstrate a sensitivity to, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students. Equivalencies
The equivalency is 1) A Bachelor’s degree in physics, astronomy or astrophysics and a Master’s degree in any science, engineering or mathematical field and 28 graduate-acceptable units in physics, astronomy and/or astrophysics; OR 2) A Bachelor’s degree in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics and a Master’s degree in any science, engineering, or mathematical field and related work experience, teaching or other professional experience, prominence or eminence in the field; OR 3) A Bachelor’s degree in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics and the unit/course equivalent to a Master’s degree in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics and significant progress toward a doctorate degree in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics to degree completion before entering into contract with the Districts; OR 4) A Master’s degree in any science, engineering, or mathematical field and upper division or graduate units in physics, astronomy, or astrophysics and related work experience, teaching or other professional experience, prominence or eminence in the field.Responsibilities
Under general direction: Instruct students in the assigned discipline • Develop curricula, instructional methodology, strategies • Advise students in both group and individual contacts • Assist students in improving time management and learning skills • Participate in institutional activities including but not limited to flex and staff development • Perform peer reviews as required in the association contract • Participate in other contractually required activities • Meet regularly with discipline/division peers • Provide support for discipline/division recruitment, research and development • Participate on institutional committees and activities • Work towards continuous personal growth and development • Perform other duties as directed or specified by Board Policy, California Education Code, or Faculty Association contract. • Assignments may be either day or evening, weekday or weekends or online.Foreign Degrees
Any degree from a country other than the United States, including Canada and Great Britain, must be evaluated by an Evaluation Service prior to the closing date. Certification must be attached with copies of transcripts.License Certificates/Credentials Desired Qualifications Working Conditions Position Description
Applications are currently being accepted for Physics Instructor to commence in August 2016. This is a Full-Time, 10 month, Tenure-Track Position.Application Procedure
Applications must be submitted by 11:59 p.m. PT on the closing date.
Applicants must submit a complete online application that includes the items listed.
- Rio Hondo College online application (which includes supplemental questions)
- Résumé/Curriculum Vitae
- Complete transcripts of all colleges/university studies, including degree earned (copies will be accepted) NOTE: Transcripts from multiples colleges/universities may need to be scanned as one document, then uploaded. Transcripts showing the awarded/conferred degree are required.
- The Immigration Reform and Control Act requires the District obtain documentation from every individual who is employed which verifies identity and authorizes his/her right to work in the United States.
- Successful candidate is responsible for verifying all prior work experience and providing all academic transcripts for purposes of salary placement.
- As a condition of employment, the selected applicant must provide a set of fingerprints (at the applicant’s expense) taken by an official LiveScan agency.
- Provide a Certificate of Tuberculosis Exam for initial employment (The certificate must be renewed every 4 years as a condition of continuing employment).
- For positions requiring a valid California driver’s license, proof of insurability is required.
- Applicants who are protected under the Americans with Disabilities Act and require accommodations for completing the application process, testing (if required for position), or the interview, please notify the Human Resources Office.
- A copy of this announcement will be provided in Braille to visually impaired applicants upon request.
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * Please list all degrees held and specify the fields in which you earned them.(Open Ended Question)
- * Please list any California Community College Credentials held.(Open Ended Question)
- * Please list the college level physics courses you have taught. Include how many times taught, where, and when.(Open Ended Question)
- * Please describe any experience in the field of physics education and in particular, inquiry-based curricula.(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe how you are able to help students with diverse preparation levels and backgrounds become more successful and active rather than passive learners in your physics classroom and lab and astronomy classroom.(Open Ended Question)
- * Within the past two years, give two examples of ways in which you have tried to improve the depth of student understanding.(Open Ended Question)
- * Rio Hondo College physics courses use DataStudio software on Apple iMac computers interfaced with PASCO sensors. Please give specific examples of any expertise you possess in the use of computers and other technology in the classroom or laboratory.(Open Ended Question)
- * Describe your training and/or experience that demonstrate your sensitivity to, and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.(Open Ended Question)
- * How did you hear about this employment opportunity? Please be very specific.(Open Ended Question)
Documents Needed to Apply
- Resume/Curriculum Vitae
- Unofficial transcripts of all college/university studies, including degrees earned.
- License or Credential