Title: Calculus & Physical Science Tutorial Laboratory Coordinator
Department: Student Success and Retention
Position Number: 740
Schedule: 44 weeks/year, 40 hours/week
Reports to: Associate Dean of Student Success and Retention
Closing Date: October 7, 2016
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Supervise and coordinate all tutoring in the Calculus & Physical Science Tutorial Lab.
- Recruit, select,
hire, train, schedule, supervise, evaluate and serve as mentor to professional staff and student tutors/lab assistants.
- Tutor students
individually and in groups in advanced Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and college level course work.
Participate in the development
and delivery of tutoring training for all GRCC tutors and develop and
deliver subject specific training for Calculus & Physical Science
Tutorial Lab tutors.
- Develop tutoring strategies to meet the needs of a diverse learning population.
- Ability to work effectively
with and relate to diverse community college student population.
- Stay current with Departmental curricula in Calculus, Physics, &
Chemistry as well as best practices and research in learning theory and practice.
- Develop and implement group tutoring sessions.
Monitor Calculus & Physical Science Tutorial Lab and associated Science Computer Lab budget.
- Maintain a positive, warm and welcoming
academic support learning environment.
- Promote and develop students' academic success by encouraging independent, self-actualized
- Establish and enforce lab policies for both the Calculus & Physical Science Tutorial Lab and Science Computer Lab.
cooperation with Biology Learning Center Coordinator, supervise and schedule assistants for Science Computer Lab.
- Maintain close
working relationship with other lab coordinators to ensure consistency of campus wide tutorial services.
- Develop and maintain close
working relationship with Calculus & Physical Sciences faculty and staff regarding course materials, procedures and content.
Coordinate, manage and ensure the security of all Lab resources including lab computers.
- Prepare special review materials and practice
tests in both written and electronic formats.
- Work cooperatively and maintain rapport with students, staff, faculty and
- Disseminate information and give presentations about lab to students, faculty and staff.
- Collect and examine lab
usage data to determine tutorial needs for Calculus & Physical Sciences.
- Participate in Academic Support & Tutoring Services data
analysis and review.
- Communicate with instructors and staff regarding individual needs of students.
- Maintain and update the Lab
website in coordination with other tutorial lab coordinators.
- Attend Academic Support & Tutoring Services staff meetings as well as
other Departmental meetings as requested by supervisor.
- Work collaboratively with the Academic Support & Tutoring Services team to
insure continuous improvement of service and support college wide student success initiatives.
- Support the initiatives of Student
Success and Retention through normal activities of faculty members
- Perform other duties and responsibilities assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor's Degree is required with preference in Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics or a closely related field.
Degree is required with preference in Chemistry, Physics, Education
Mathematics, or a closely related field or completion of same within
specified time of hire.
- Successful coursework completion in high level Calculus required.
- Two years' experience teaching/tutoring students in Physical sciences and/or Calculus required.
- Experienced with
the use of graphing calculators.
- Experience with a computer-based Algebra system such as MAPLE (preferred).
- Ability to lift (up to 20 lbs), bend, twist, ambulate around campus and sit for long periods and may travel to off
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing, to assist students and staff in a professional
- Demonstrated content knowledge of courses/department curriculum to be supported.
- Demonstrated ability to
work with students from diverse educational and demographic backgrounds.
- Ability to effectively participate in a collaborative
decision making process.
- Ability to manage labs with minimal supervision.
- Possession of leadership qualities.
- Ability to
adapt to demanding work environment and flexible work schedule.
- Demonstrated professionalism and possession of character qualities
including: organization, promptness, courtesy, confidentiality and dependability.
- Computer literate.
Ability to learn and maintain
up-to-date skills in computer technology including: electronic student
information systems (PeopleSoft), Microsoft Office, and other
programs that may be used by the College to support and/or track student
- Demonstrated initiative and problem-solving
abilities. Ability to perform routine and unexpected duties with minimum supervision.
- Proven ability to provide excellent customer
service to students and staff in a demanding work environment.
- High energy level with enthusiasm and interest in helping and
supporting students, staff, and the general public.
- Ability to work under pressure while possessing mature judgment and flexibility in
regards to interruptions.
- Must use good judgment in handling sensitive or difficult situations in a pleasant and professional manner.
- Understanding and working knowledge of Section 504 of the
Rehabilitation Act and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of
- Ability to work in a high traffic, indoor academic lab environment.
College is interested in faculty who: (1) possess an interest in
working with diverse student populations who
represent a wide range of age, ethnicity, national origin, and ability;
(2) engage in and develop innovative teaching methods; (3)
demonstrate a commitment to continuous improvement, individually and for
the College. GRCC has an excellent benefits program and the Faculty
Association contract provides opportunities to earn additional
Why work at GRCC? This position offers:
· Competitive salary with merit-based increases
· A diverse working and learning
environment with ongoing related professional development
· Retirement plans including Michigan Public Schools Retiree System
(defined benefit) or TIAA-CREF (defined contribution)
· Generous personal time off package, including holidays, sick time for you
and your family, vacation, bereavement and personal days
· Domestic Partner Benefit Program
· Excellent and affordable
· Generous dental and optical reimbursement plan
· Life insurance and long term disability
· Free tuition at GRCC for you and your dependents
· External institution tuition reimbursement for you
Extensive Professional Development and Wellness opportunities
· Ford Fieldhouse Health Club and Pool Membership
campus parking at a deep discount
· Grand Rapids is a Cool City!
For more information about
Grand Rapids: http://www.hellowestmichigan.com/Why-West-Michigan/Grand-Rapids
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Grand Rapids Community College is only
accepting online applications for this position at
Please include your resume and cover letter in one document; unofficial
transcripts; and three letters of recommendation, which you may
upload yourself or have your supporters attach to an email to
email@example.com Find application and upload instructions here Individuals
diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community
College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The opportunity to apply for
this position will close on October 7, 2016. Individuals with diverse
backgrounds are encouraged to apply. Grand Rapids Community College is
an Equal Opportunity Employer.