Southern Utah University, Utah's designated public liberal arts and sciences university, is a comprehensive, regional graduate and undergraduate degree-granting university. Located in Cedar City, Utah, it is an accredited, state-supported institution with an enrollment of nearly 8,000 students. Home to the Utah Shakespeare Festival and surrounded by national parks, monuments, forests and wilderness areas that draw millions of visitors annually from around the world, it is only 40 minutes from great snow skiing and year-round golfing. It is located 2 ½ hours from Las Vegas and 3 ½ hours from Salt Lake City.
Southern Utah University invites applicants for Assistant Professor of Physics. Two positions are available. Both are full-time, 9-month, tenure track positions to start August 16, 2015. Salary is $53,000+, depending on qualifications and experience; excellent benefits.
- Teach diverse physics courses at the undergraduate level, including: Astronomy, Physics for Scientists and Engineers, Quantum Mechanics, etc.
- Advise students.
- Work effectively as a member of the Physical Science Department.
- Establish an externally funded undergraduate research program that complements existing efforts in the department.
- Serve on department, college, and university committees.
- Other assignments as determined by department chair and dean.
- Ph.D. in Physics with an open area of specialization and a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching and research.
- Demonstrated teaching effectiveness.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, leadership skills, and the ability to work effectively with colleagues in an undergraduate academic setting.
In accordance with Utah State Code 53A-3-410, appointment to this position is contingent upon the successful passing of a background check.
Applicants should apply online at http://jobs.suu.edu (Job #1400213) or you can go to the direct link at http://jobs.suu.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=53088 and click on Apply for this posting. Individuals are asked to attach, electronically, the following documents: a cover letter, resume/CV, statement of teaching philosophy, statement of research philosophy, copies of unofficial transcripts, student evaluations, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of three professional references. First consideration of applications will begin November 7, 2014; the position will remain open until filled. If you have questions or problems with the application process, contact Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org or 435-586-7754.
Southern Utah University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.