The Department of Physics within the Division of Physical Sciences at UC San Diego () invites applications for a tenure-track Teaching Professor (Lecturer with Potential Security of Employment). This series parallels that of the standard, research-focused series, but the emphasis is on excellence in teaching.
The Department is committed to academic excellence and diversity within the faculty, staff, and student body. A successful candidate will be judged on scientific background and teaching accomplishments, as well as on potential for leadership in areas contributing to diversity, equity, and inclusion.
We are seeking an outstanding teacher who wishes to have a permanent, full-time instructional position on an academic-year basis. The position will involve:
- teaching physics courses, with emphasis on introductory laboratory and lecture courses for non-majors;
- developing curriculum, including effective new ways of organizing class time, demonstrating physics principles and using instructional technology to enhance student learning;
- training teaching assistants;
- advising members of the department on pedagogical techniques and course content;
- coordinating various administrative aspects of the undergraduate instructional program;
- participating in education-related committees, student recruitment and outreach, and efforts to secure extramural funding for educational program development;
- demonstrating educational leadership beyond campus through active participation in conferences, workshops, service, sharing of materials, and working with STEM teachers.
Candidates must have a Ph.D. degree in physics (any area) or a closely related scientific field, a record of excellence in teaching, and strong writing and interpersonal skills.
Review of applications will commence on December 1, 2014 until the position is filled. Applications should be submitted online at. Please submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, a synopsis of teaching experience/philosophy and professional goals and a separate statement on past experience and leadership in equity, diversity, inclusion and/or proposed future contributions (see ). Candidates must also arrange to have three to five letters of reference that address teaching, research, and professional service posted to the above website.Information about spousal/partner employment is available on the Partner Opportunities Program website:http://academicaffairs.ucsd.edu/offices/partneropp/.
UC San Diego is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a strong institutional commitment to excellence and diversity (http://diversity.ucsd.edu/).