Community College of Aurora
REPORTS TO: Science Department Chair
SUPERVISES: May be assigned supervisory responsibilities
Full-Time Contract for 2017-2018 Academic Year Physics Faculty. This position will begin in August 2017 for the 2017-2018 academic year.
The Community College of Aurora is seeking an enthusiastic and dedicated Physics educator to join the Science Department as a full-time 9-month faculty member. The ideal candidate will exhibit a strong commitment to delivering a rigorous, current and high quality science education to CCA students. Candidates should have a demonstrated ability to motivate and educate in an engaging manner, and display a high degree of competence within their content area. Full-time faculty members of the Science Department teach between four and six classes per academic year, and are responsible for updating and maintaining course curriculum. While the primary job of a faculty member is teaching, additional duties are a part of the position. Faculty members work collaboratively with colleagues within the department and across the college, advise students, mentor adjunct faculty, and participate in department and college-wide committees and initiatives.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develop and implement curriculum for classes and programs that meet student and departmental needs.
- Actively engage students in the learning process.
- Maintain accurate and timely records of student performance in classes.
- Maintain and update syllabi for all courses included in the teaching assignment and submit these documents each semester.
- Contribute and coordinate the processes of instructional planning, assessment and curriculum review.
- Pursue continued professional development both in subject matter and instructional methods.
- Support student activities, serve on committees, participate in initiatives and attend meetings called by the President, Vice-President of Academic Affairs, Dean and/or Chair.
- Recruit, train, evaluate and mentor adjunct faculty.
- Assist in running of the college Astronomical Observatory.
- Minimum of a Master's Degree in Physics, Astronomy or a related field, from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 1 year of college level teaching experience.
- Community College teaching experience.
- Experience with small telescope observing.
- Astronomy teaching experience.
- Dedication to interactive learner centered teaching methods.
Deadline to Submit Application Material: Applications will be accepted and this position will remain posted, until the position is filled. A review of applications will begin on February 27, 2017. Applications received by this date will be given priority consideration.
Application Process: For full application instruction, visit: https://www.ccaurora.edu/job-opportunities/jobs-cca/physics-faculty-regular-9-month-faculty2017
If you have questions regarding this position, please contact us at HR@ccaurora.edu.
By submitting an application for this announced position, applicants are certifying that all statements, information and documents provided are true, complete and correct to the best of my knowledge and are made in good faith. Further, applicants understand that omissions, misleading, false or untrue information, or any attempt at fraud or deceit in any manner connected with this application and/or subsequent testing may result in them not being considered for jobs with the Community College of Aurora; may constitute grounds for discipline and/or termination after hire; and/or constitute grounds for further actions pursuant to law.
The Federal Clery Act (The Student Right to Know and Campus Security Act of 1990) requires all institutions of higher learning to make available to prospective employees our agency's Annual Security Report. A copy of this information is available on the CCA website at http://www.ccaurora.edu/students/student-right-know. A paper copy of this report can be obtained at the College Security Office upon request. This report includes statistics for the previous three years concerning crimes that occurred on campus or on property controlled or owned by Community College of Aurora, as well as public property within, or immediately adjacent to and accessible from, our campuses.
Notice to all Applicants:
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States must be produced within three (3) days of hire.
- Direct deposit of payroll is a condition of employment.
- Final candidate is subject to a criminal background check prior to final selection process.
- Final candidate is required to submit official transcripts to Human Resources within fourteen (14) days of hire.
- CCA is affiliated with the Colorado Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) and as such, employees contribute to PERA in lieu of Social Security for retirement benefits. For more information, visit www.copera.org.
- Former employees of the Colorado Community College System or one of its 13 colleges, who were disciplinarily terminated or resigned in lieu of termination, must disclose this information in your application material.
- Create an Inclusive Excellence plan
- Incorporate evidence-based and inclusive teaching strategies and curricula in the classroom
- Provide high quality, inclusive, and responsive programming and services outside the classroom
- Assess and evaluate the practices, policies, and outcomes of the College for inclusiveness
- Provide intentional faculty and staff professional development that focuses on the implementation of Inclusive Excellence
- Communicate support and direction for Inclusive Excellence through institutional leaders
- Identify, prioritize, and allocate resources that support Inclusive Excellence
- Foster a climate for open dialogue
- Facilitate Opportunities for cross-cultural interaction
References: Association of American Colleges & Universities. (2016). Making excellence inclusive. Retrieved from http://aacu.org/making-excellence-inclusive
Non-Discrimination Statement: The Community College of Aurora prohibits and will not tolerate discrimination or harassment that violates federal or state law, Board Policy 3-120 or Board Policy 4-120. The College does not discriminate on the basis of sex/gender, race, color, age, creed, national or ethnic origin, physical or mental disability, veteran status, pregnancy status, religion or sexual orientation. The College complies with Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, the Civil Rights Act of 1991, the Education Amendments of 1972 (Title IX), the Age Discrimination in Employment Act, the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978, Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act of 1974; Executive Order 11246, and sections 24-34-301, C.R.S. et seq.
For information regarding civil rights or grievance procedures, contact our Title IX Compliance/Equal Opportunity Officer, Cindy Hesse, Director of Human Resources at 16000 E. CentreTech Parkway, Suite A207, Aurora, Colorado 80011 or by phone at 303-360-4752, or e-mail at Cindy.Hesse@CCAurora.edu.
CCA Mission: "The Community College of Aurora serves our diverse community by providing high quality instruction and support services to prepare students for transfer and employment."
Vision: We aspire to be the college where every student succeeds.