The Center for Preparatory Studies (CPS) of Nazarbayev University is currently seeking an experienced Physics Coordinator to lead a team of physics teachers.
CPS is an integrated, foundation year that prepares students for study in Nazarbayev University's undergraduate schools: School of Engineering, School of Science and Technology, and School of Humanities and Social Sciences and for the School of Mining and Geosciences which will open soon. Students develop academic study skills and learn how to adapt to the expectations of an academic research community. All classes are taught in English, with the minimum English entry-level requirements for students of IELTS 6.0 for the coming academic year.
Nazarbayev University, established in 2010, is a Western-style, English-language institution, created with the support of leading universities around the world, such as: Cambridge University, Duke University, National University of Singapore, University College London, University of Pennsylvania, University of Pittsburgh, and University of Wisconsin-Madison. Nazarbayev University aspires to become a world-class research-based university and provide the highest quality education in Kazakhstan and Central Asia.
The University is located in Astana, the new capital of Kazakhstan, described as "brash and grandiose, and wildly attractive" by National Geographic, and "the futuristic frontier of architecture" by the Guardian has been chosen as the venue to host the International Exposition EXPO-2017. Rich in natural resources, Kazakhstan has experienced extraordinary economic growth since its independence from the Soviet Union twenty-five years ago.
Physics Coordinator Position
As the University expands and CPS develops, there is a new position for a Physics Coordinator to lead a team of physics teaching fellows. The Coordinator will be responsible for the planning, delivery, evaluation, and assessment of the physics curriculum and for managing the members of the physics teaching unit. The Coordinator is a member of the Center's Senior Management Team and is involved in the decision-making process of the overall academic quality and operations of CPS.
The Physics Coordinator will be responsible for the day-to-day running of the physics courses and working with the physics teachers, most of whom hold doctorates in physics. The Physics Coordinator reports to the CPS Deputy Director. He/she will have operational responsibility to ensure that the learning outcomes are achieved. In addition, the Coordinator will contribute to the policies of the overall Foundation Year Program (which also teaches English, humanities/social science, chemistry, and biology) in the planning, delivery, evaluation and assessment. The Coordinator will support and supervise a team of approximately ten physics teaching fellows, and will teach from two to eight hours per week.
A Successful Candidate must have the knowledge, skills, experience, and qualifications required to effectively lead a physics teaching unit, contribute to a multi-disciplinary Center, and work within an intensive, high-caliber university preparatory program. Administrative and negotiation skills are critical as primary duties will include: conducting team meetings; scheduling teachers and courses; team planning and developing classes within the curriculum; monitoring the quality of the courses; continuously analyzing feedback from students, teachers, and administrators; improving teaching materials and methods; and liaising with other departments within CPS and with the undergraduate schools.
- Doctorate in physics or another discipline with experience teaching physics-an MS in physics may be considered if it is combined with extensive relevant teaching and academic management experience
- Administration experience with the leadership skills required to direct a highly qualified, international team
- Flexible, affable personality with the ability to handle ambiguity and lead a developing academic unit
- Effective communications and good interpersonal skills and accomplished at building esprit de corps
- Postgraduate teaching qualifications for the secondary/tertiary sector
- Familiarity with best teaching practices
- Awareness of the educational needs of Kazakh students in a pre-degree environment
- Experience working internationally in a foundation program
- Curriculum development and testing/assessment experience
- An internationally competitive salary
- The opportunity to be a change agent in a developing program
- Expatriate benefits (rent-free accommodations, home travel twice a year, 56 days paid leave per year, insurance, child education allowance, etc.)
- A cover letter outlining your relevant experiences and why you are interested in applying to a management position in CPS
- A current Curriculum Vitae (maximum 3 pages)
- Contact information for at least two referees, and contact information of your current/most recent supervisor. Referees will not be contacted without your permission. Reference letters are not requested for the initial application.
- Note: only shortlisted candidates will be notified.
Nazarbayev University is an equal opportunity employer.
For any questions please contact Mr. Beibit Askaruly ( email@example.com).