Join a new program to develop an open source integrated online learning environment that integrates short learning modules, cognitively categorized homework, links to chosen external simulations, and coupled in-class activities like peer instruction. The modules blend assessment, instruction, outside assets, and discussion groups. We will assess everything a student does using Item Response Theory which will allow us to guide instruction of student and class. Mining student use data will allow us to measure the learning of individual instructional exercises and to improve assessment items. This environment will be built using LON_CAPA.org and will implement our new Modeling Applied to Problem Solving pedagogy. See http://relate.mit.edu for related work.
Former Postdocs have continued to positions in academia and education companies. Inquiries and applications (CV, Cover letter, and names and addresses of three referees) in pdf format should be sent to Dr. R. Teodorescu, rteodore@MIT.EDU (Subject line should read: Application for Postdoc Position at RELATE). Review of applications will begin immediately; starting date flexible. MIT is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer. For more information check http://web.mit.edu/physics/about/employment.html and http://relate.mit.edu/jobs.html .
Prof. David E. Pritchard
Dept. of Physics, 26-241
77 Massachusetts Ave.
Cambridge, MA 02139
Position 1 :
* PhD/EdD in Physics education research, education.
* Candidate should have experience in implementing research-based pedagogies both online and in-class environments.
* Teaching experience in College level Introductory Physics.
* Experience writing problems and instructional material
* Working knowledge of cognitive theories and models for problem solving.
* Knowledge of online homework systems (knowledge of LON-CAPA is a plus).
* PhD in Physics, Computer Science or related field (Exceptional Candidates with a master Degree will be considered).
* Experience using PERL, PHP and MySQL.
* Interest in developing next generation educational products.
* Knowledge of Statistics/data analysis.
* Experience with Mod perl and Apache.
* Familiarity with Linux and Linux server management.
* Experience in product management and design.
* Experience in developing educational software is a big plus.