Institution: Laredo Community College
Location: Laredo, TX
Faculty - Science - Physics
Application Due: Open Until Filled
Type: Full Time
Salary: $41,152 to $47,928 USD Per Year
A Master's degree in a field of science is preferred. A minimum of 18 graduate hours in your specialty is required.
Some experience in teaching, preferably at the community and/or senior college level, is desirable.
Basic Function and Responsibility:
This individual will be responsible for teaching science courses in his/her discipline in the Department of Natural Sciences with duties as listed below and in accordance with the Laredo Community College Manual of Policy and the Faculty Procedures Manual.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Teach assigned courses in your discipline by preparing lecture and laboratory materials and activities, which result in demonstrated student achievement. Laboratory activities may require some heavy lifting (up to 50 pounds).
2. Develop, evaluate and revise course objectives and syllabi to ensure instructional quality.
3. Make every effort to provide a safe learning environment for the students and be responsible for the security of equipment, materials, and classrooms.
4. Provide students with timely evaluation of their progress and with educational assistance within assigned courses including tutoring, referral to available
student support services, and by acting as an educational resource for students.
5. Provide timely and accurate information and/or reports throughout the semester and at the end of each semester to the Registration Office and departmental office. (This includes final exam and course grades, grade records, attendance records grade distributions, copies of final exams, competency analysis, etc.)
6. Provide accurate career and/or degree plan advisement during scheduled and/or unscheduled student advisement and registration periods.
7. Work a minimum of 35 hours a week on campus including a minimum of 10 office hours per week.
8. Teach day, evening, weekend, distance learning courses, at either campus, off-campus and/or out-of-town courses as assigned.
9. Keep current with changes and advances in the fields of science, technology, and pedagogy and incorporate these into the appropriate teaching areas.
10. Participate in activities such as orientation, convocation, in-service, and seminars designed for professional growth and development.
11. Participate in library collection development for the disciplines through the request of materials and the evaluation of the present holdings.
12. Participate in committees at the college and at the departmental level.
13. Attend meetings called by the College President, Vice President for Instruction, Dean, Department Chairperson, or Committee Chairpersons.
14. Follow the proper procedures for requisitioning textbooks, instructional supplies, expendable supplies, and travel requisitions and reports.
15. Substitute for colleagues when necessary.
16. Follow the approved academic calendar and exam schedules.
17. Participate in the procedures of evaluation of courses by students and by supervisors, act as a mentor to other faculty members when appropriate, and/or become a member of an evaluative team for a colleague.
18. Perform other duties as assigned by the College President, Vice President for Instruction, Dean, or Department Chairperson.
Skills, Knowledge, Abilities:
Must be knowledgeable, mature, and concerned with the academic progress of students.
Must be cooperative and professional in dealing with college administrators, colleagues, and students.
The ability to operate specialized laboratory equipment, audio-visual aids, and computers.
Ability to develop laboratory and lecture strategies to enhance teaching effectiveness are essential.
Type of assignment: Full-Time, Regular
Availability: January 3, 2011
Interested applicants must submit a complete application packet which consists of: LCC application, transcripts (if recommended for position official transcripts will be required), resume, and 3 letters of recommendation (be no more than a year old and need to be signed by individual recommending you). LCC can no longer accept applications that do not have all of the required supporting credentials for the posted position. Please visit our website our website at www.laredo.edu click on employment opportunities to download our application form.
Apply for this Position through My HigherEdJobs
Postal Address: Office of Human Resources
Laredo Community College
West End Washington Street
Laredo, TX 78040
Phone: (956) 721-5138
Fax: (956) 721-5367
Online App. Form: http://www.laredo.edu/HumanRes/job_application.htm
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org