Required background includes:
• A preference for earned doctorate in science or mathematics or science/mathematics education (minimum master’s degree in these areas required);
• At least three years’ experience in teaching and/or advising, administration and leadership; and
• Very strong oral and written communication skills.
Additionally, preference will be given to candidates who demonstrate:
• Knowledge of recent advances in science and mathematics teaching;
• Teaching, advising, and /or administration in higher education;
• Experience working collaboratively and also independently;
• Budgetary experience; and
• Experience conducting and leading a research program.
• Administration of program, including coordination of all aspects of the program, working with co-directors and others in program, developing and managing web site, developing program advertising materials, program assessment, reporting to funding agencies. – 30%
• Personnel management and supervision of at least six people, including selecting and supervising master teachers, program faculty, student help, mentor teachers, etc. – 20%
• Budgeting and grants management, including FIUTeach grant, state funds, private funds – 20%
• Program development and implementation, including leading development of courses and curricula, recruiting students to program; interaction with school systems; interaction with campus committees and constituencies – 20%
• Teaching and advising of FIUTeach students – 10%
Position requires some travel, primarily in South Florida to work with teachers and students in the schools, attendance at meetings with high school teachers, and supervisors, etc. Position also requires one or more out-of-state trips/year to attend UTeach and other related meetings.
FIU is a member of the State University System of Florida and an Equal Opportunity, Equal Access Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.