|Position Title||Laboratory Physicist|
|Department||Physics & Astronomy|
This is a supervisory position in which the incumbent works closely with students and faculty in a laboratory situation. The incumbent oversees teaching assistants in the laboratory.
Incumbent also develops lab experiments and evaluates their effectiveness and purchases and maintains necessary lab equipment. He/she will evaluate the performance of graduate teaching assistants and offer suggestions for improvement.
These essential functions include, but are not limited to, the following. Additional essential functions may be identified and included by the hiring Department.
1. Manage undergraduate physics laboratories.
2. Oversees teaching assistants.
3. Assist in undergraduate physics laboratories as needed.
4. Active participation in outreach programs.
At least Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Physics.
Related education and related experience may be substituted on a basis set forth by the Department of Human Resources.
|Special instructions to applicants|
Applicants must meet the posted minimum qualifications for the position at the time of completing and submitting an application.
Prior to applying for the position, please prepare the electronic versions of the resume and cover letter to upload or to “copy and paste” when prompted. You will not have the opportunity to attach them after you apply.
Review of applications may begin immediately and continue until an adequate applicant pool has been reached.
An official copy of your transcript is required upon hire for this position.
The University of Mississippi provides equal opportunity in any employment practice, education program, or education activity to all qualified persons. The University complies with all applicable laws regarding equal opportunity and affirmative action and does not unlawfully discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based upon race, color, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, or genetic information.
|Background Check Statement|
The University of Mississippi is committed to providing a safe campus community. UM conducts background investigations for applicants being considered for employment. Background investigations include a criminal history record check, and when appropriate, a financial (credit) report or driving history check.
|Work Schedule||Mon-Fri 8am-5pm some evenings and weekends|
|If part-time, specific number of hours per week|
|Published Salary||Actual salary will depend on experience, qualifications and departmental budget.|
|Employee Category||Professional / Administrative|
|Clerical skills testing||None|
Posting Specific Questions
Required fields are indicated with an asterisk (*).
- * How did you learn about this particular job opening?
- University of Mississippi website
- Print ad/newspaper
- Chronicle of Higher Education
- WIN Job Center/MDES Jobs Website
- Professional meeting or conference
- Professional journal and through a professional organization
- Professional list service
- Listed at historically black or predominately minority college or university
- Predominately minority-targeted publication
- Other institution/laboratory/program
- Referred by a friend who is an employee of the University
- I am a current employee
- * Do you have at least a Bachelor's degree in Physics OR at least eight (8) years of job related experience?
- * After reviewing the job description and responsibilities of this position, please describe your related education and/or related experience that would help you be successful in this position.(Open Ended Question)
Optional & Required Documents
- Resume / Vitae
- Cover Letter
- List of Professional References