Dean, Berry College School of Mathematical and Natural SciencesBerry College, a private comprehensive liberal arts college located in Rome, Georgia, invites nominations of or applications for a visionary and innovative leader to serve as Dean of the School of Mathematical and Natural Sciences (MNS). The Dean is expected to serve as a model to faculty within the School as an exemplary teacher and scholar. Anticipated appointment date is July 1, 2014.
Berry College has recently been recognized by U.S. News and World Report as the number one 2014 Up-and-Comers national liberal arts college. Located in northwest Georgia in a setting of great natural beauty, Berry unites a challenging academic program and practical work experience with opportunities for spiritual growth, including significant service to others, for its more than 2,100 undergraduate students.
Berry Colleges School of MNS boasts a unique campus laboratory of more than 26,000 acres of land; a thriving Department of Animal Science that includes a working dairy, beef and sheep production, and equine center; and a rapidly growing interest in the Environmental Sciences. Well-established Departments of Biology, Chemistry, Mathematical and Computer Sciences, and Physics (including Astronomy and Geology) impart core teaching and research strengths to the School. Students are actively involved on campus in research and work opportunities that support their academic interests.
The Dean serves as the chief academic, administrative, and budgetary officer of the MNS School and reports directly to the Colleges Provost. The MNS Dean:
- Works with the Schools faculty, College administration, the deans of other Schools, and external partners to promote and catalyze improvements to the MNS Schools teaching/research capabilities, curriculum, unique and interdisciplinary programs, and facilities.
- Serves as a model and mentor to both tenured and tenure-track faculty members.
- Supervises all MNS faculty, Department Chairs and coordinators, and administrative staff.
- Recommends hiring, reappointment, promotion and tenure, and other personnel actions as necessary.
- Provides oversight and assistance during the hiring process of a high quality and diverse faculty and staff.
- Promotes scholarly research activities of faculty and faculty-student collaborations.
- Assists students with requests, exceptions, complaints, and the resolution of grievances.
- Serves as an effective communicator and liaison to both internal and external constituencies, including fund-raising activities in conjunction with the Advancement office.
- Recommends budget to the Provost, and oversees the allocation and dispensation of School funds.
- Represents the interests of the MNS faculty.
- Teaches a course each semester in his/her discipline.
Earned doctorate by an accredited institution in one of the scientific disciplines represented by the MNS School with sufficient academic credentials to merit appointment to the rank of full professor. The successful candidate will have a proven and effective track record at the level of department chair or above that demonstrates the candidates commitment to innovation and improvement.
An application letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for at least three references should be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org or Dean, MNS, Berry College Human Resources Department, PO Box 495037, Mount Berry, GA 30149-5037. Review of applications will begin October 15, 2013.
Nominations for the position may be sent directly via email to Dr. Gary Breton (email@example.com).
It is the ongoing policy of Berry College to afford equal employment opportunity to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, physical or mental handicap, veteran status, and/or whether or not they are disabled veterans; and to conform to applicable laws and regulations. For ADA Accommodations, please contact the ADA Coordinator at VTTY 706-233-4062.
Persons filling out an application for employment with Berry College may be required to submit to a full national background check.