California State University, Fullerton (CSUF) seeks a Dean for the College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics. The preferred starting date is July 1, 2013. With more than 37,000 students, CSUF has the highest enrollment within the CSU, the largest university system in the country. CSUF’s 240-acre campus is located in technologically rich and culturally vibrant Orange County, southeast of metropolitan Los Angeles. CSUF’s diverse student body mirrors the local community and includes students from 80 nations.
The College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics (NSM), one of eight academic colleges in the University, includes the departments of Biological Science, Chemistry and Biochemistry, Geological Sciences, Mathematics, and Physics, a program in Science Education, and offers eight undergraduate and eight graduate degree programs. The College has approximately 103 full-time faculty, 126 part-time faculty, 33 clerical/technical support staff, 3 administrators, 2,578 undergraduates, and 203 master’s students. The College is dedicated to the integration of teaching and research and has a strong tradition of student-centered education.
Required qualifications include:
• A Ph.D. in a relevant discipline from an accredited institution
• A record of teaching and research excellence appropriate for appointment as a tenured full professor in the College
• Three or more years of academic administrative experience involving strategic and operational planning, budgeting, human resource management, program assessment, student advisement, faculty development, and curriculum development
• Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal communication skills
Preferred qualifications include:
• A demonstrated commitment to faculty-mentored student research, other high-impact practices, and interdisciplinary programs
• Experience in working with ethnically and culturally diverse students, faculty, and staff, and in a shared governance environment
• A demonstrated record of fundraising to support the mission of the College
• The ability to meet the university’s strategic goals (http://planning.fullerton.edu/)
Expectations. The Dean is the chief academic officer of the College. In addition to providing vision and collegial leadership in the planning and implementation of a variety of academic, research, and student success programs in the College, the Dean, as the representative of the College to the University, interacts with public and private sectors and stakeholders in the community. The Dean is a member of the CSUF Council of Deans, reports directly to the Provost, and works closely with members of the Provost’s Cabinet, the Academic Senate, the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs, and other campus constituencies. The Dean works to advance the mission and strategic goals of the University (http://planning.fullerton.edu/) and the College (http://nsm.fullerton.edu/content/publications/CNSM_Strategic_Plan_2011-16v5-7.pdf).
The search is being assisted by Academic Search, Inc. Applications should consist of a cover letter, curriculum vitae, and list of five references with contact information. References will not be contacted without explicit permission from the candidate. Nominations and applications should be sent electronically to CSUFDeanNSM@academic-search.com.
The position will remain open until filled, but only applications received by April 22, 2013, can be assured full consideration. Confidential discussions about this opportunity may be arranged with Jessica Kozloff at email@example.com or with Tom Fitch at firstname.lastname@example.org.