Editor's note: The deadline has just past, contact search committee to determine if they are still accepting applications.
The Center for Excellence in Science and Mathematics Education (CESaME) at Cal Poly is seeking applicants for a STAR (STEM Teacher and Researcher) Program Director to begin August 2013. The STAR program aims to improve the recruitment, preparation, and retention of early career science and mathematics teachers by facilitating their development as "teacher-researchers." Over the past six years, STAR has sponsored 290 research internships for aspiring and early career science and mathematics teachers at 14 cooperating national laboratory facilities associated with the Department of Energy, NASA, NOAA, and NOAO throughout California and the nation. For more about the STAR program visit: http://StarTeacherReseacher.org.
Primary responsibilities of the STAR Program Director will be to:
- Under supervision of the CESaME Co-Directors, manage program operations, including planning, implementation and evaluation of STAR program elements in California and other Western States. Key STAR program phases are recruitment of STAR applicants, review of applications, coordination of research laboratory placements (with research site staff), planning summer program activities, community-building events, and program evaluation
- Work with STAR Program staff to execute STAR program and manage program budget
- Work with CESaME Co-Directors to foster reasonable program growth and build sustainable mechanisms for funding, including grant-writing and fundraising with public and private organizations; build and maintain relationships with external agencies and funding organizations; grant management and reporting
- Promote STAR program regionally and nationally, including presentations at state and national meetings
- Co-authoring abstracts, posters, presentations, and manuscripts describing STAR Program and evaluation and research results
- Teaching undergraduate lecture or lab courses in science, engineering, or mathematics or post-baccalaureate courses in teacher preparation up to 20% FTE (as appropriate)
The STAR Director will report to Cal Poly's CESaME Co-Directors.
Full-time lecturer appointment in the College of Science and Mathematics through August 2014, with possibility of renewal based on available funding. Significant opportunities for professional development and scholarship in STEM teacher education and development.
Complete the required online faculty application at WWW.CALPOLYJOBS.ORG and submit to Requisition #102721. Applicants are requested to attach the supporting documents (listed below) to requisition #102721:
Resume / Curriculum Vitae
Transcripts (unofficial may be attached initially; official transcripts will be required prior to employment)
Three letters of recommendation (may be attached; finalists will be requested to arrange for three reference letters to be supplied directly by the reference providers)
Official letters of recommendation and official transcripts can be mailed to:
Dr. John Keller
1 Grand Ave, CESaME
Cal Poly, SLO
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Review of applications will begin 3-1-2013; applications received after that date may be considered.